Resolving a Misunderstanding Universe Stories
Here are the various Resolving a Misunderstanding / Death’s Dominion Universe stories, organized by set and in suggested reading order. Obviously, you may read them in any order you prefer! Each set can also stand alone.
The first group of fics is the sort of “foundational” set. They’re primarily ADMM with a heavy focus on Minerva, and all are set prior to Harry Potter’s years at Hogwarts.
The stories in the second set are mostly short, side stories, set before and during the canon years, featuring a wide variety of characters, everyone from Filius Flitwick and Pomona Sprout to Poppy Pomfrey to Sirius Black and Remus Lupin.
The third set consists primarily of Snape-centric fics written around the story Death’s Dominion. There’s a lot of Minerva in them, too, and a fair amount of Albus. None are DH-compliant.
Many of these stories are also available on An Archive of Our Own.
For full descriptions of each story, see the
List of All MMADfan Fics.
1. Resolving a Misunderstanding: very long, chaptered novel in 19 parts; drama, humor, suspense, romance; MMAD friendship-to-romance, with a lot of plot along the way; Minerva-centric, primarily from Minerva’s P.O.V. Resolving a Misunderstanding Table of Contents — some spoilers. (T/M, with mostly T-rated content, some MA content in later chapters; available in a T-rated version on fanfiction.net)
Resolving a Misunderstanding on An Archive of Our Own (AO3).
Resolving a Misunderstanding on the Petulant Poetess.
2. “The Unsentimental Arithmancer”: one-shot, short story; romance, drama, AU; features young Gertrude Gamp, Reginald Crouch, and Albus Dumbledore and Fawkes. (T)
“The Unsentimental Arithmancer” on AO3.
“The Unsentimental Arithmancer” on TPP.
“The Unsentimental Arithmancer” here on mmadfan.com.
3. “A Spree with Albus”: short story, one-shot; drama, humor, AU; an out-take from Chapter CXXXV: A Spree in Resolving a Misunderstanding, not a new, separate story if you’ve already read RaM; Albus Dumbledore, Minerva McGonagall, Malcolm McGonagall, others. (T)
“A Spree with Albus” on AO3.
“A Spree with Albus” on mmadfan.com.
4. “An Unexpected Shower”: short story, one-shot; romance, erotica, AU; a “missing scene” set after the chapter “CXXXV: A Spree” in Resolving a Misunderstanding; a Gertrude Gamp/Malcolm McGonagall fic; lemony fluff; one-shot. (MA; available in an M-rated version on fanfiction.net)
“An Unexpected Shower” on AO3.
“An Unexpected Shower” on TPP.
5. A Holiday with the Headmaster: novella; romance, drama, erotica, AU; can stand alone, but set between chapters “CXXXVII: The Silent Knight’s Tale” and “CXXXVIII: Back to Hogwarts” in Resolving a Misunderstanding. (MA; chapters combined into five parts in the abridged, T-rated fanfiction.net version, A Little Holiday)
A Holiday with the Headmaster on AO3.
A Holiday with the Headmaster on TPP.
8. “A Christmas for Aberforth”: short story, one-shot; gen, family, humor; ADMM. (K+)
“A Christmas for Aberforth” on AO3.
“A Christmas for Aberforth” on TPP.
“A Christmas for Aberforth” on mmadfan.com.
9. Charming the Scottish Garden: novel; romance, humor, drama, AU; chaptered fic; Johannes Birnbaum and Siofre Tyree, with other canon and RaMverse characters. (T/M)
Charming the Scottish Garden on TPP. (WiP)
(“Trunks,” “Up a Tree,” “Snow,” “Awkward,” etc., are all a part of “Cheering Charms” on TPP.)
1. An Act of Love: novel; psychological drama, AU; chronologically first of Set Three, taking place in September HP Yr 6; Snape-centric; ADMM, quasi-SSMM; can be very easily skipped and then either read last or after Death’s Dominion, like a prequel. (MA)
2. Death’s Dominion: long novel; psychological drama, suspense, AU; AU HP Years 6 & 7; Snape-centric, with Minerva McGonagall, Albus Dumbledore, Poppy Pomfrey, Hermione Granger, and others; foundational for the Resolving a Misunderstanding universe stories; available both on the Petulant Poetess and, in a mildly edited version, on fanfiction.net. Death’s Dominion Table of Contents. (T/M)
3. “Enter, Peacetime”: short story, one-shot; drama, AU; Snape-centric post-war fic, featuring Alastor Moody, with Hermione Granger, Albus Dumbledore, Aberforth Dumbledore, and others. (T; also here on MMADfan)
4. A Long Vernal Season: long novel in multiple parts; psychological drama, romance, humor, AU; Snape-centric sequel to Death’s Dominion; read Death’s Dominion first if you care about spoilers; Snape, Minerva McGonagall, Albus Dumbledore, Poppy Pomfrey, Hermione Granger, and others. A Long Vernal Season Table of Contents (T, some later chapters rated M & MA)
5. “The Sorting of Suzie Sefton”: short story; drama, humor, gen, AU; can stand alone, though there are spoilers for Death’s Dominion and Part One of A Long Vernal Season; Severus Snape, Rubeus Hagrid, Poppy Pomfrey, Draco Malfoy, and others. (T; also here on MMADfan)
6. “Minerva’s Mistletoe”: one-shot, humor, romance; Minerva has fun the first Christmas after the war; companion fic to A Long Vernal Season, but can stand alone; features Minerva, Albus, Severus Snape, Poppy Pomfrey, and others. (MA; M-rated version on fanfiction.net)
7. Draco’s Heart: short novel; chaptered fic with short chapters; romance, drama, humor, AU; can stand alone, but overlaps with A Long Vernal Season, set in spring 1999; features Draco Malfoy, Ginny Weasley, Luna Lovegood, and others. DHGW. (T)
My personal favorites among the RaMverse fics are Resolving a Misunderstanding, Death’s Dominion, A Long Vernal Season, Charming the Scottish Garden, and “The Sorting of Suzie Sefton,” and I think that Death’s Dominion is probably the best of my chaptered fics, though it’s darker, and a denser read, than most of them.
~*~ Reviews are very welcome! ~*~
Please Note: Any fics with MA-rated content are archived primarily at sites requiring log-in and membership, such as the Petulant Poetess archive and the Our Mirror of Erised Yahoo! Group, which has fanfic available for download in the “Files” area.
The Petulant Poetess site allows anyone, members and nonmembers, to read and review stories rated K, K+, and T. Stories rated M or MA require membership and log in to read.
An Archive of Our Own does not restrict fics based on membership; authors determine whether guests are able to read their fics or not, and whether they may comment. At this writing, guests may read any of the stories I have posted to An Archive of Our Own. For the complete list of fics that I have posted to AO3, see the list there.